Thursday, November 6, 2014

A Seussical Experiment

My son's first birthday came and went back in June.  Given his obsession with all things Dr. Seuss, I we decided it would be the theme of his party.  It's bold, it's iconic, and let's be honest - there are a million ideas all over Pinterest.

One of the things I had my heart set on making were these Thing 1 & 2 cupcakes that I've pinned multiple times.  They looked simple enough..... get a box of Funfetti, throw some icing on them, and stick some blue cotton candy on top.  Then you put them in red cupcake liners with little Thing 1 and Thing 2 signs on them.  What could go wrong?


In all honesty, I'm not sure where it all fell apart - it was really just a hot mess from all angles.  Let's just say that I'm lucky I did a "trial run" a week before the actual party. 

To start off, I made the huge mistake of purchasing teal icing.  Clearly, a total lapse in judgement, but I figured it didn't matter because the cotton candy was really the star of the show anyway.  Speaking of cotton candy - I couldn't find any blue cotton candy.  All I could find was a plastic container of blue and pink cotton candy mixed together, which I later had to painstakingly separate (and naturally, I consumed all the pink stuff). 

The result?  Shameful.  I'm almost too embarrassed to even post a picture.  And yes I do realize that some of these cupcake liners are blue - I didn't want to waste too many red ones for my experiment!


The teal icing was horrendous, and the cotton candy started melting the second it hit it.  Within minutes, there was nothing left but sticky blue sugar - and this was in the confines of my air conditioned house.  There is no way these would last 30 seconds at an outdoor birthday party in South Florida during the month of June.

So what's a girl to do?  Come up with Plan B!  Forget the cotton candy and the disgusting teal icing.  I ended up bribing my sister-in-law (who actually cooks and bakes for fun) to whip up some yummy thick icing that I could coat with blue sprinkles.  As a bonus, she even came early and iced the cupcakes at the park and added the sprinkles for me. 

A reasonable person would assume I would have documented the final product....but that's where you'd be wrong.  The best image I can find showing the end result is this one:


At the end of the day, I was happy, and my son was happy - because he's 1 year old and doesn't know the difference anyway.  But let's be honest - my sister-in-law could have been a little less stingy with the blue sprinkles - just sayin!

Result:  Pinterest FAIL.


No comments:

Post a Comment